Thursday, September 13, 2012

Writing my WIP

MANY years ago I bought an a capella CD for my (then) 12 year old daughter. She soon outgrew it but I am still enjoying it. It's energetic and fun and teaches scripture. 

One of my favorite cuts is  entitled "Tag, You're It!" It bee-bops through several Bible characters who were "tagged" by God as children to grow up to become heroes of our faith. Cute and convicting!


Tonight I was "tagged" by someone else - my writing buddy, Linda Martin Andersen. Thanks, Linda, for picking me for your team on the playground. I have sad memories of usually being the last kid picked for elementary school recess games like kickball and softball. [sigh]


 So, I'm ready to play the game. Here are my answers to the questions about -- you guessed it -- my WIP.


What is the working title of your book? Mama’s Rose

2. Where did the idea come from for the book? Stories my Dad and Mom used to tell us about growing up in the rural South during the Great Depression.

3. What genre is your book? Inspirational Historical Fiction. I believe certain publishers would call it a YA, but others would publish it for adult women.

4. Which actors would you choose to play the characters in a movie?  Oh, my! I only watch old romantic comedies and such. I have no idea! But I think it would make a great Hallmark movie.

5. What is a one sentence synopsis of your book? After her mother’s death sixteen year old Mattie struggles with filling Mama’s shoes in her family, instead of pursuing her own hopes for college and becoming a teacher.

6. Will your book be self-published or repped by an agency? My goal is to be accepted by a royalty publishing house.

7. How long did it take you to finish your first draft? With many interruptions (months at a time) it took me eight years, including tons of research. Can you believe it took me that long? I'm now on the umpteenth revision.

8. What other books would you compare yours to in this genre? Not sure – JourneyForth has several historical YAs that have the same feel, I believe. Also, Patricia Reilly Giff's mid-grade novels do, too.

9. Who or what inspired you to write this book? Honoring my Father’s memory and heritage.

10. What else about your book might pique a reader’s interest? Mattie's struggles make her a heroine that readers can easily like and cheer for. Also, if you enjoy 20th century history you'll find yourself feeling right at home with Mattie and her friends and family.

Now, I have to tag some other writing friends.

Kristi Butler - you're it! 
Janice Green - you're it, too!
Pam Zollman - come out and play!
Mitzi Smith - your turn!


See ya!

6 comments:

Linda A. said...

Jean,
I enjoyed hearing about your WIP. It's one I'd like to read.

Thanks for playing Tag and sharing with your readers.

Sorry to hear that not all your Tag days were so much fun.

Carol Baldwin said...

Fun pictures and insight into you and your WIP!

quietspirit said...

It was nice to read about the background of your WIP. Thanks for sharing with us.

Jean said...

Thank you, Linda!

Jean

Jean said...

Yep, Carol. That's me - fun! fun! fun!

Jean

Jean said...

Oooooh! I should have taged YOU, QS. Want to play?

Jean