Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Words Aflame


“Give me the Love that leads the way
The Faith that nothing can dismay
The Hope no disappointments tire
The Passion that'll burn like fire
Let me not sink to be a clod
Make me Thy fuel, Flame of God” 
 Amy Wilson-Carmichael

 
Amy Carmichael is one of a handful of women who have had a powerful influence on me.

I never met Amy Carmichael, of course. Her influence on my life, like that of many others, has been through her writings – the words she left behind in various prayers, poems and manuscripts.

Her dedication to the Lord and to the work He called her to do puts my efforts to shame.

Her flaming love for the people of India convicts me of how flickering my love can be.

Her white-hot passion for rescuing the children of India exposes the luke-warmness of my own life.

Her writings show me that she loved Christ and the people He called her to serve, without restraint or pretense. She followed Him and surrendered her life with total and reckless abandon.

When I read the transparent words she left behind I am forced to stop and think about my own words:

What will come from the printed words I leave behind? When my children or grandchildren sift through all the stuff on my hard drive (or whatever storage device they find in my dusty file cabinets) will the words inspire those who read?

Will they amuse, inform or entertain others?

Will they become fuel for the Flame of God to ignite other hearts for Jesus?

Words have power - far more than we like to consider as we spit them out or fling them onto page or screen. 

What kind of influence will my words have after my body has returned to dust?

Whose words have had tremendous influence in your life? Will you share a few  of them with us here?



9 comments:

Linda A. said...

Jean,

Biographies of great men and women inspire me. Many overcame great odds or accomplished much for the good of all, not just themselves. When I was a kid, I remember wishing I could meet George Washington Carver and run experiments with him. I was convinced that together we could come up with a cure for some disease using the blooms topped from tobacco plants.

Carol Baldwin said...

I just put this up on FB, Jean. Great way to start my writing day. LOrd, let me not be a clod but a flame for your work!!

Jan Parys said...

I consider these present trials not worth comparing to our future glory. Romans 8:18
Rejoice in the Lord always.

Blessings!

quietspirit said...

You have given me a lot to think about. I can't answer your question right now. But I will come back to it.

Jean said...

Thank you, QS.

Consider, pray, then let me know what the Holy Spirit tells you, please.

Blessings,
Jean

Jean said...

Rejoice!

Amen, Jan.

Jean

Jean said...

Thanks, Carol.

I need to add a tweet button, don't I?

Jean

Jean said...

That's wonderful, Linda. Thank you for sharing that.

I didn't realize you were so interested in science.

Isn't wonderful that, as kids, we're not afraid to dream such big dreams?

Jean

Jean said...

Ooops! I DO have a button for twitter. Silly me!

Jean