Saturday, April 16, 2011

Writer's Digest

I subscribe to the hard copy magazine Writer's Digest. I highly recommend it regardless of your genre, style, or target market. Their website sends me too many emails for my purposes, but the magazine itself is terrific.

One of my favorite features is their yearly "101 Best Websites for Writers."

I don't want to steal their thunder NOR get myself in trouble for quoting too much of the article or giving it away free...so I'll just give you a few of my favorites from their list.



I am already familiar with a smathering of their picks, like these:

agentquery.com

hartlineliteraryagency.blogspot.com (A Christian agency)

kidlit.com

cba-ramblings.blogspot.com (Rachelle Gardner)

fundsforwriters.com (sign up for Hope Clark's weekly newsletter!)

writing.shawguides.com (to locate writing conferences)

scbwi.org (of course!)

I also circled a few I want to investigate in detail, like these:

editorialanonymous.blogspot.com - an anonymous children's book editor offers honest advice on real submissions from writers like you and me.

alongstoryshort.net writing tips AND personal replies to authors (that's us, folks) who contact them for advice.

stephiesmith.com/resources.html - no chatter, just links to writing resources by category.

oncewritten.com for beginners.

resourcesforchildrenswriters.com from Rachelle Burk - has a detailed index. I've mentioned her blog before.



Oh, dear! So many useful sites and so little time!

Please let me know if you visit any of these sites and whether or not you find them helpful.

BTW - subcribe to W-D for a year and I'll bet you won't regret it.

Have fun surfing!

3 comments:

Cheryl Barker said...

Lately I've been thinking about subscribing to Writer's Digest. Maybe your post is a sign I should go ahead and do it :)

I follow Rachelle's blog and also Hope Clark's blog and get lots of helpful tips from both. I've fallen behind with Hope's FundsforWriters newsletters, but I need to get back to perusing them. I used to find some neat opportunities there, too. Sometimes it's just all too much to keep up with!

Anonymous said...

Jean,

Thanks for the website suggestions and the strong recommendation for the magazine subscription. Much appreciated.

Linda A.

Jean said...

Thanks, ladies, for dropping in.

I know what you mean, Cheryl. Sometimes I do so much "keeping up" I don't have time to WRITE!

Blessings,
Jean