Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Touching the Clouds

The other day I was in our back yard swing with my grandsons. Mikey is three plus, and Luke is 20 months old.

"Higher, MeMe!" Mikey shouted. "I want to touch the clouds!"

"Can you? Can you touch that cloud right over there?" I asked him, pointed to the sky, and pumped harder.

"I trying, MeMe." Mikey's three-year-old fingers stretched upward while his other hand held on tight to my arm. Of course we never actually touched any clouds. But it sure was fun trying. And the higher we went the more we enjoyed the cool morning breeze on our faces.

I realized that sometimes I do the same thing.

"Higher, God," my heart shouts. "I want to go higher. I want to touch the clouds with You, Lord."

I catch myself wondering why I get involved in writing projects. Why do I stretch myself and strain to attain publication? Why can't I be content to just hover over my little family & meet their needs? Why can't I be satisfied with writing my thoughts in my private journal? Why do I want to touch the clouds?

Is it that seed of creativity God planted in my heart before I was born? Is it some innate unrest I have? Is it pride? Or, is it God's Holy Spirit urging me upward into the clouds?

I don't really know for sure. I want to be satisfied with home & family & friends. But I also want a much wider circle of influence. I want to impact as many people as I humanly can for Christ in my lifetime.

Writing is one way that I can do that. It's one way I can reach for the clouds. Even if I don't touch them, it's fun trying. And that cool morning breeze on my face is worth the extra effort.

1 comment:

Judi "Jlo" Moran said...

Lovely, descriptive post, my fellow Morning Coffee writer!
I love the conversation with your grandson.
How lovely too that our God stirs in us the urge to touch the clouds, to reach for Him, to feel His face and heart for the world.
You have captured much in this piece.
Thanks for the encouragement and inspiration and thanks for visiting my site this morning.
Love,
Jlo